We have an exciting Summer term planned in Class 3. This term our overall theme is ‘Why were the Romans so powerful and what did we learn from them?’. Alongside this, we will focus on the question ‘Why do so many people choose to go to the Mediterranean for their holidays?’.
In true Caton style, we are going to fill our brains with knowledge and wonder by learning about the following topics and questions:
- ‘Why were the Romans so powerful and what did we learn from them?’ – Who were the Romans? Who were their leaders? How and why did they invade Britain? How did they influence language and education? What was their role in slavery? Did all of their influences/changes stand the test of time? What would it have been like living in Britain during the invasions? Did anyone in Britain resist against the Roman invasion?
- ‘Why do so many people choose to go to the Mediterranean for their holidays?’ – Where is the Mediterranean? What climate does it have and why does this attract so many holidaymakers? How large is it and what countries are located there? Who and how many people go on holiday to the Mediterranean? How does it compare to Morecambe Bay? What are the physical and human features found in both locations?
- ‘Is change necessary for improvement?’ – What can change look like? When do we experience change and how does it affect us at different stages of our life? Do countries experience regular change and how does it affect life? Should we stop change? How can we stop change?
- ‘How do we process our food?’ – Where does our food go when we swallow it? What is the digestive system? Where is it found? What is it for? What role do teeth play in eating? Do we have different teeth and if so why are they different? What is a food chain? Where are they found? What role do humans play in food chains?
- ‘How can we become faster, fitter, stronger?’ – How do we control our body? What muscles groups do we use everyday? How can we improve our muscular strength? How can we develop our whole body balance and agility? How do we throw further and more accurately? How can we improve our fitness so that we can run for longer? What role does diet play in improving our strength and agility?
- ‘What do Christians mean by the Holy Spirit?’ and ‘Why is the prophet Muhammed an example to Muslims?’ – What/who is the Holy Spirit? Who believes in it/them? How do Christians experience the Holy Spirit? Does the Holy Spirit affect the daily practices of Christians? Who was Muhammed? How does he influence daily prayer rituals? Does Muhammad expect Muslims to behave in a certain way?
- ‘Who was Carl Giles?’ – Who was Carl Giles and how did he influence the world of art? What skills did he use to produce his artwork? Can we use tint and shade to change a sketched image?
- ‘How do toys move?’ – How do some toys move? Are all movements controlled by electronics? What moving mechanisms can we find/use/replicate? How do we produce a moving toy using a pneumatic mechanism? How do we make out creations stronger/more exciting?
- ‘Can we tell stories through music?’ – What is music? What is composition? How does music make the listener feel? What notes can we name and play? Can we write and play music to match an animation?
- ‘What is inside a computer?’ – What is a computer made of? What is hardware? What is software? What happens if you change/remove hardware? Are hardware and software updated/changed in the same way?
- ‘How do we lead a healthy lifestyle?’ – What does a healthy lifestyle look like? How can we have control over our health? Are mental, emotional, social and physical health the same thing? Is one type of health more important than the others? How do we form good habits and what do they look like?
As well as all of this fantastic learning, we will also be continuing with our daily English and Maths lessons. In these we will be learning about:
English – we will use a range of media, such as pictures, short films, non-fiction extracts and short narratives to produce an information text about the Romans and a narrative about Queen Boudicca.
Maths – We are going to learn about decimals, mass and capacity, money (including using decimals), time and shape, position and direction.
Please head to the ‘curriculum’ section of the ‘Class 2 Page’ to find out more information about our topics in their subject knowledge organisers.