Supporting your Child’s Learning in Reception
At Caton Primary, we believe that strong partnership and open communication between home and school is vital in order for your child to reach their full potential. To help with this, we use a two-way online communication app called Seesaw which allows us to send messages and upload photos and videos of your child at school. You as parents and carers can also send messages and upload photos and videos of your child’s achievements outside school. This helps to create a holistic picture of your child so we can tailor their learning to suit their interests and developmental stage. You can find out more about how to use Seesaw here. The app is available to download for free on the app store or play store.
How can you help your child?
- Read books to them every night – this has an incredibly positive impact on their speaking and listening skills as well as modelling the joy of reading.
- Once your child has been given a school reading book, make time to listen to them each day for 10 minutes.
- Upload photos/videos of your child’s achievements or milestones outside school such as learning to ride a bike, swimming without armbands or places you have visited.
- Give them time to run and play outside at parks or in the forest. Developing their gross motor skills and overall wellbeing is essential for learning.
- Take time to talk to your child. Put away your phone for a while and spend time in conversation with your child, listening to their ideas, interests and thoughts.
- Point out numbers and letters in the environment around you on signs, doors, roads etc.
- Focus on and praise what your child can do and not what they can’t do. Children can very quickly have a negative self-view of their abilities which can be hard to reverse.
- Come to our parent workshops throughout the term which will give you more information about phonics, maths and learning through play and how you can support your child.